Sunday 15 November 2009

Hope in a desert of despair

After near on a quarter of a century in the putrid worlds that are the media and music businesses, I am often driven to distraction and despair – the latter feeling most often directed at the former industry and its overall apathy toward what is good about the other.
Take The Distortion Project as a prime example. Almost single-handedly James and his small team have been flying the flag for the local metal scene, through their weekly gigs at first Katy Dalys and now the more substantial Limelight, and the occasional bigger name act, such as Amon Amarth and soon Marduk and Bolt Thrower. Yet nary a word in the local, so-called music press to recognise his tireless effort, pain and reward. In my own small way, through this blog, I am always happy to help redress the balance.
By the time I made it to the Limelight yestereve, 99 Miles Of Bad Road already had hit the stage, and impressed with their straight ahead, no nonsense, “let’s just have a good time” feelgood metal. I can say exactly the same about Niyah Sky, a group who I had been wanting to catch up with for some time and who commanded the stage with their own tight, evisceral brand of party rock.
Sandwiched between these two fine acts were the mighty Kesus, about whom I will be brutally honest and say I had not heard of until I saw their name on the flyers. Describing their sound as ‘desert metal’ , the quartet delivered a sandstorm of a set. Frontman Fanjo must be one of the tallest in the business, and he is possessed of a big voice to match, while guitarist T delivered some tempestuous riffs backed by the powerhouse rhythm section of bassist Harbo and drummer MJ.
Unfortunately, due to another appointment, I had to leave shortly after Speedking hit the stage, but in the couple of songs I heard the Monaghan riffmasters impressed me with their brand of traditional hard rock, and I will make a point of trying to catch up with them the next time they play this dirty ol’ town.
Amid despair there is always hope, and as long as James and The Distortion Project keep delivering quality gigs like this, hope in the local metal scene will spring eternal. Now, what’s the News Letter’s address till I go knock their so-called music writer’s bollocks in?

No comments:

Post a Comment